Baby K’tan: a smart alternative to the Moby wrap (review & giveaway)
A while back when I did the Babywearing Series I started to hear a buzz about the Baby K’Tan wraps… but had never seen or tried one for myself. Much to my delight, Tiny Little Elefants emailed me that same week asking if I’d be willing to test and review one.
It must have been fate. (hee!)
I generally say no to product offers and reviews, but this was one I couldn’t pass up – it was a perfect fit for us and for the Memos. Plus, I knew it also meant a fun giveaway for my readers. Bonus.
Tiny Little Elefants graciously answered all of my bazillion questions before I finally settled on the Baby K-Tan Breeze (which I received straight away).
By that time, Judah was already seven months old and I had fully transitioned over from my Moby to the Ergo. To be honest, it was very hard for me to let go of the Ergo (which I use daily) and pick up a new carrier. I’m just too familiar with it and comfortable in it.
Nevertheless, I was very grateful to try the Baby K’Tan, and I waited to write my review until I had worn it in different settings and circumstances.
Here’s what I like about the Baby K’Tan:
- It has all the comfort of a moby-like wrap without the long material to get tangled in (or get dirty on the ground).
- It’s small, lightweight, and compact – so perfect for traveling or storing in your purse.
- The fabric is cozy and soft.
- It feels sturdy and secure once you get the hang of how to put it on.
- There are several ways to wear it for newborns, older babies, twins, breastfeeding, and hip carry.
- It works from newborn right through to toddler age. (Note: I did not try Levi in this wrap. Although I do carry him on my back in the Ergo, I can’t actually imagine carrying him on my hip for any period of time. At two-and-a-half he’s just too big to be worn anywhere but my back.)
- The sizing was easy to figure out. (Just order you t-shirt size.)
- I chose the Breeze which is half mesh fabric – should be perfect for our summers here in the tropics. By the time I got it the height of summer had already passed, but we’ve had enough hot days since that I can confidently say the K’Tan is far more pleasant to wear than the Moby when the temperature rises.
Here’s what I don’t like about Baby K’Tan:
- It’s not a one-size-fits-all so my husband can’t use it.
- You can’t wear baby on your back.
- I didn’t feel like it was as secure (as my Ergo) for my strong, active older baby. (Perhaps this would change with time as I/we get more comfortable in it, though I’m not sure.)
- The one I was given is white, which easily shows dirt and mess.
Overall, I really, really like the Baby K’Tan.
The Moby was my go-to wrap for both of my boys when they were newborns, but I can see how the K’Tan will easily replace it as my favorite since it is smaller, less bulky, more breathable, and you don’t have to wrap it around and around. (Generally just less complicated and tedious!) For older babies and toddlers I still prefer my Ergo.
Tiny Little Elefants has agreed to give a Baby K’Tan to one of my readers.
To enter, please leave a comment, making sure your email address is linked. For bonus entries, share on facebook, twitter, or on your blog and leave separate comments for each letting me know you’ve done so. Feel free to enter as many times as you’d like (though no more than once per day please). Entries will close on Monday, June 25, 2012 and I’ll announce the winner soon after.
p.s. Tiny Little Elefants provided me with a wrap for review but all opinions stated are my own.